Optical fiber is a cable which has narrow like structure and consists of a glass core which helps in sending the signals of light with very less amount of strength. It is used in telecommunication as well as data communication. It is the most flexible cable which has transparent fiber.
Advantages of Optical Fiber:
• Optical fiber has greater bandwidth and speed than any other cables. Range of frequencies are available for data transmission. It refers to data transmission rate. Range of frequencies are used to transmit data. Higher the bandwidth, the more data it can transmit.
• Optical fiber cables are made of glass and it is thinner, therefore it is lighter than any other cable and can be used easily.
• Optical fibers are more flexible than copper wires and can easily bend because of its tensile strength.
• It losses low power which helps it in the long-distance transmission.
• They are cheaper as compare to other cables therefore it is commonly used.
• It has a longer life cycle span than any other cable which is over 100 years.
• Optical fibers are small in size which saves more space in the transmission.
• It has great security as compared to other cables or wires.
Disadvantages of Optical Fiber
• Optical fibres are installed by specialists therefore they are difficult to install.
• It is very easily broken and damaged so you have to take care while using it and try not to bend it.
• Optical fibre is easily effected and harmed by the particular thing as it is small in size as compared to other cables.
• They are not robust that is strong like other cables or wires.
• They are difficult to join because if you bend or connect too much, it will break the connection. Therefore, they have a limited number of physical wires connected together.